Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Science Fair 2009





I question, are Science Projects designed to teach children the wonder of science and the world around them or are they intended to send every mother into a fit of insanity. This year "we" did two projects. After pouring over options we settled on "Candy Confusion" (Caleb) and " A Kinetic Kuestion" (Mckay). The boys tested to see if children ages 4-6 confused candy with similar looking medicines and which type of sled travels most quickly down a hill. Both very pertinent projects to our household. While complaining to my Mom about the boys' lack of urgency and how I swear if I didn't get on their cases , nothing would be done until panic set in the night before the projects were due, she reminded me that one year as Korlyn was carrying in his completed project another young man in his class opened the door to the school for Korlyn and asked, " Hey Korlyn, do you want to be my science partner." Now there's a Mom who saved herself some agony. Poor kid. Grandma Gulbranson was an honorary judge this year but we have yet to see how the boys did. I admit, I and the boys came to a consensus that I we all wanted them to do well, get an A and have fun but under no circumstances did we want to win the Science competition because this years winner gets the honor of taking their projects to the District Level held in Vancouver this year. Yikes, Vancouver a 10 hour drive. Maybe I am a little more like the above mother than I care to admit. Anyway, they were fun, they are in and we are all pleased with Mckay and Caleb's efforts. Good Job boys.

3 comments:

Amy said...

i am in the midst of science fair myself, so i feel your pain!

Kara said...

I don't even care about the science fair projects, all though they look cool, what happened to my little nephews? They are way too big! I am so sad that they are growing by leaps and bounds. Caleb looks like a little man! Maybe you should do a science project on that, do kids grow faster when the people who love them are far away?

Marilyn J said...

You are so clever. You are not the first mom I have heard say that the science projrcts are way worse as a parent than doing them as a kid. HA, it's the parent project.

I wish you lived near me, I want to do all the crafty things you do with you.