Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Gift for Russell







A little bit late for Valentines Day but since I love Russ everyday of the year a gift is never too late.
From the moment I met Russ I understood how much he liked football. At a time early in our relationship he introduced me to his football card collection which was stashed secretly in the back of his closet in two large shoe boxes, wrapped in duct tape and labelled "DO NOT OPEN". We have moved these boxes from one apartment to another even from one country to another and finally here into our new home. The moment finally came to cut open the tape and rummage through the little treasure. The boys who love football too, were so excited to be given some of Russ' favorites like:

Barry Sanders, John Elway, Eddie George, Steve Young, Walter Payton, Dan Marino, Ty Detmer, Joe Montana, Earl Campbell, and Randall Cunningham, to name a few.


As I watched the men's faces light up with each card my little brain also lit up.

I made my way to Michael's craft and purchased some large frames at 50% off
(that's not cheap love). Mckay helped me pick out the best cards, 84 in total. I mounted them on green paper in memoriam of the Philadelphia Eagles and set them into the frame. Since our media room is everything football these tiny treasures made a big impact and a fun addition.

If you look closely you can spot Russ' two favorite football stars. Mckay and Caleb have their own Rookie cards nestled in amongst quarterbacks and linemen of the NFL. Who knows, maybe one day a Caleb Jensen 2008 or a Big Mac 2005 will be fished out of the back of a closet and treasured by another little boy?

1 comment:

Hazel said...

I love the football collection gift. There are two players that I think are the MVP's. Wow! What goodlooking players those are.


grandma