Friday, February 6, 2009

Attached and Aged or Fresh and Fancy?

Fresh and Fancy

Attached and Aged

I get attached to things like sick animals, kitty blankets, my neices and nephews, old windows and cars. I can remember lots of different cars we used to drive when I was young. A burgundy and white Suburban, a 13 passenger van and my very own 1971 Datsun. Right now I am quite attached to my 2001 gray Suburban. The boys call it "the bat mobile" because I killed some bats one night which got stuck in the grill and made for some really cool close up observations. They also call the car the "crash up car" because of some minor dents and break downs. Oh sure two windows won't roll down, the wipers work when they feel like it, it doesn't idle well, it has stranded us several times, we go through tires like crazy, 1 rear light is out and so is one head light, (we are a perditler's dream). But, I like the old girl. We have hunted in it, hauled lumber for the house, carried football teams, driven youth to dances, lent it out for a hearse (twice) and made some great family memories in it. After one particularily bad break down this Fall Russ surprised me with a new car-see above photo. But much to his dismay it sits in the garage because I am attached to my old gray mare. What to do ? What would you do? Drive old "not always so faithful" or pull the new "younger-looking" gal out of the garage. I might add that the new car has heated leather sets, an awesome entertainment system, gets much better mileage and drives sooooo nice, but hey, that's only if those kinds of things are important to you. So what'll it be? What do you think? Attached and Aged or Fresh and Fancy.

4 comments:

Kara said...

Okay my favorite thing about the old gray mare was when we cut willows for one or our crazy craft ideas. We got all the willows cut down and there were so many that we had to pile them on top and I had to lay on top of the willows while you drove back home. That was a blast and I am laughing just remembering that day. I miss the Hoof, you can't do that in Utah!

Karli said...

Ok, first of all, I'm just so pleased that you put 'nieces and nephews' in the same category as the kittt blanket. Really, you like them that much? And then my second thought was that this must be how Kara feels when she thinks of her sisters, you - "attached and aged" or me - "Fresh and fancy." Hmmmm, that's a tough one. I feel bad for you Kara, cause we're both pretty great. :)

Lauri said...

I'm of the fresh and fancy ilk. Getting stranded in Canada would jerk the sentiment out of me fast. Have fun making new history. And be sure to blog it.

Marilyn J said...

ok-I get attached to things as well. I should probably get a new car for many of the same reasons, although I have not been stranded. My thinking is why on earth would you want to drive 4 boys around in "fresh and fancy" with leather seats? My boys would destroy a new car and age it well before it's time. Maybe your boys have Manners unlike mine and that is not an issue.