Saturday, July 26, 2008

Oscar Meyer and Stinky Stella




I have a soft heart for the underdog so when my Dad offered me a calf who's mother had died and was heading to the cow palace himself, I said I would take him. We have named him Oscar because I thought it was a cute name and Russ said it would keep us focused on what Oscar was going to become, (think Oscar Meyer). Oscar is spoiled, the other day he was heard bellering for us and we found him with his front feet perched on the front steps. After Oscar was with us for a week we were offered calf number two who as you can see looks alot like a skunk. She was named Stella, if you've seen Over the Hedge you will understand why. Anyway our farm continues to grow one orphaned animal at a time. By nephews and neice are enjoying helping to feed them when they visit aint Jana's house.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad to see that the calves are doing good. I honestly thought I killed Stella when I was there. I heard that she keeps getting out of her pen. You gotta love cows. I am glad that you have started a blog. Happy blogging day!!!!!

Anna said...

Hi Jana! So fun to visit your blog! I am sympathetic to the adopting orphaned animals thing because I think we've been adopted by a white and caramel-colored kitten. She's been hanging around our house for two days now, darting in the door whenever she gets and the chance, and meowing under the front room window during scripture reading. St. Matthew has never been so distracting to read! Of course, the kids can't leave her alone, and Bronwyn has already named the kitten "Abbey." At least she is color-coordinated with the chickens we have...

Love the calves. Sounds like Oscar wants to be an intimate member of the family!

And as for boys in the ER...sigh. Although I don't have experience with that yet, it seems that there are certain behaviors that are dominant on that Y chromosome...