Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How to Build a Kub Kar

Oh, the Kub Kar. After this year we have assembled 7 Kub Kars and have estimated that we have 6 more to go. The boys love the Kub Kar rally (also known as the pinewood derby).
The scout leader hands out the little red box, complete with a block of wood, tires and 4 tiny, very loseable nails, I am speaking from experience here.



The boys sketch and finally choose what the finished car, the winning car will look like.


They meticulously sand the now formed block of wood so that any wind resistance will be avoided.



They carefully and skillfully paint on the design.

Dad adds the wheels, the weights and the all powerful graphite.

And the race begins.

The racers are nervous. Will they win? Will the "Blue Thunder" pull out a win?
Will all the hard work and effort pay off?


Nope! each of the boys won one race each, the big trophy has slipped from their grasps again. Their final race was fought brother vs. brother and as you can see no feelings were permanently hurt.
I have to say I am really pleased with my boys. Aside from Dad cutting out the shape and helping with weights and tires, the boys completed their cars on their own and they had a lot of fun doing it, plus they were good sports and that's not always easy when all that work only merits one little win each.










4 comments:

Karli said...

But luckily they win in the 'most handsome driver' division every year!

Amy said...

We just experienced our first pinewood derby a few months ago. I am glad that Aaron was there to help Andrew, because I had no clue. Good for your boys to do most of the work themselves!

Kara said...

Why oh why are you letting those boys grow up so much? Coleson looks just like McKay now - I have tears right now, excuse me while I go wipe my nose...sniff...

Marilyn J said...

We just finishd our first car tonight and it is at weigh in as I write this. We didn't loose any nails, just a wheel. I just hope he wins at least 1 race.