Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Joy of Service

This past Saturday I packed a laundry basket full of the items I would need for the Stake Youth event in Prince George. It brought back memories of my mother doing the same thing with laundry baskets. I am in the Stake Young Women's Presidency and in that basket are all the things I needed to perform my duties that particular day. There are 280 meatballs, a bag of pencils, a 45 minute workshop on virtue, several dozen chocolate chip cookies, a picture of the Salt Lake City Temple, My church bag, several surveys and some mutual activity ideas for the Young Women Presidencies. I am so thankful to serve in our Stake, it takes a lot of work and requires sacrifice on the part of my husband and children but I hope that someday my boys will pack up a similar basket and head out the door to fulfill their responsibilities and remember a picture like this. We are blessed when we serve. I am thankful to parents who taught me well and who continue to be a good example of church service.

6 comments:

Karli said...

Well, I personally thought the activity was great! Good job!

Amy said...

Jana,
I could use some of that training! I just got called as the 1st counselor in YW. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Unknown said...

I remember my mom doing the same thing over the years. It's a great lesson to teach your kids about serving in the church. Thanks for all your service.

Kara said...

Isn't that what laundry baskets are for? They certainly don't collect laundry at my house...the boys somehow miss that purpose!

Anna said...

Love the laundry baskets! Mine end up holding clean laundry for longer than they hold dirty laundry. And I have lots of fond memories of helping my mother out with her Relief Society presidency calling. She was mostly in the R.S. presidency as one counselor or president or another when I was young. We helped with setting up a LOT of R.S. dinners and serving food at those dinners. I liked that part because we always got to eat whatever the adults were eating after they'd been served. My own kids mostly remember me being in Primary as a teacher or chorister. I wonder what they're learning or remembering.

schumannfamilyadventures said...

Well Jana just to let you know Bailey came home from that day talking a mile a minute about how awesome your lesson was and how you make AMAZING chocolate chip cookies, she enjoyed herself so much so as a mom I thank you many times over and Russel and the boys for letting our girls have you for a day to teach them and guide them, they love and respect you and think your the best! Thank you so much for all that you do! Love the schumann's