Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Today was the Day

Lately , several mothers of young children have either told me directly or written some of the following comments. " You're so lucky." " It won't happen for me in at least 6 years." " You must be so relieved." " What will you do with all your time?" " Finally, peace and quiet, I never have peace and quiet." Well, I don't share their sentiments. Today was the day. My four boys, some of them full fledged young men, climbed on the school bus this morning. Bridger is in the first grade, everyday all day. Coleson is in third, Caleb in 6th and can you believe it, Mckay is in 8th grade starting highschool. I am the sort of mother who likes spending time with her boys. We like working together, playing together, reading books together and just being together. It's noisy here, I like it. It's dirty here and sometimes I don't mind that either. I am blessed to have my boys, I wish I had more because peace and quiet is a little sad to me. I think we should all be a lot more grateful for little toddlers, they don't stay little for long. I am glad that I tried to enjoy little messes, little cries, little dirty diapers, little soiled clothes and little boys cause they are not so little anymore.
So, yes I am lucky. I am lucky they were happy to go to school this morning. I am relieved they were excited to meet new teachers. And what will I do with my time? Oh, maybe write a few children's books, maybe I will teach school again or get the nursing degree I always wanted to earn. But the peace and quiet, I am glad, isn't permanent.
Today was the day things changed for me, good things are coming and there are things I will miss, like 4 little boys.
I like this quote, often quoted by the Prophet of the world,
President Thomas S. Monson
" Your home is the most important school your child will ever attend,
and you are his greatest teacher."
Glad to be my sons' Mom
Jana

6 comments:

Dana M. said...

Good luck, Jana, and have fun with what ever you choose to do.

Lauri said...

I am happy/sad for you. It is a happy/sad day when they leave the nest for the day. The Homecomings are great though! Try a treasure hunt to their after-school snack, they'll know you are the best mom. And you are.

Kara said...

Yay for the boys, sad for you. Five years goes by too fast and then you are no longer the smartest or coolest, 5 minutes of kindergarten and the teacher is the best thing that has ever happened to them ;(

Anna said...

It's definitely strange those first couple of weeks when all of the kids are all in school. I'm excited for them to have amazing opportunities to learn new things, make new friends, read new books. But I'm sad they are gone because I love talking and laughing with them. I have to keep reminding myself that the Mom Job is more about being with them than all of the other stuff.

Karli said...

I agree with you 100%!!! I cried this morning when I put Porter on the bus. He asked me why and I told him it's because I was so excited for him. He now thinks I'm crazy because I cry when I am excited! :)

Unknown said...

It makes me realize that I should enjoy all the time I've got with Gavyn at home. They grow up too fast.